Hello and Welcome

This blog is an attempt to help readers by sharing what I have learned from many years of experience as a psychologist.

In terms of credibility, I offer the following. I am a licensed New York psychologist and for decades have been a psychotherapist for adults, individuals and couples. Additional credentials include having earned tenure and full professor status at a local college, chairing the undergraduate and graduate psychology department for over ten years.  The New York State Psychological Association and the Westchester County Psychological Association have honored me with several awards. I am a member the American Psychological Association and adhere to the guidance of their ethical standards. My writing has been published in a book, journals, professional publications and newsletters. I enjoy and appreciate my work. 

I believe psychology can improve lives because the evidence is overwhelmingly. One example of psychology’s effectiveness is psychotherapy.

Still, some question whether psychotherapy can even work, let alone be highly effective. Reams of research don’t convince the doubters. To them, I have a simple question: have you ever had a conversation with someone that has helped you, perhaps even profoundly? Everyone I know has said yes, they have had the experience of talking with someone - friend, teacher, supervisor, parent, grandparent, someone - and gained significantly from the exchange. From that common experience, it is easy to conclude that talking to someone can make a profound difference. The real question is, can you find a therapist who can converse with you in a way that helps? The search for a good psychotherapist can be a challenge

Psychotherapy is not the only way to grow, change and or resolve problems. It isn’t for everyone. The great psychoanalyst Karen Horney said, “Fortunately, analysis (the primary form of psychotherapy in her day) is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist”. In fact, current research shows that those who simply take a little time most days to reflect on their behavior and goals, are significantly more likely to change  and achieve their goals. 

Just because I am a therapist does not necessarily mean that I understand life more or better, or can always give the best advice. I invite you to respond to these blogs. Perhaps if we correspond about the issues raised here, we will find better insights and answers than I offer from writing alone at my computer.

Similarly in therapy, it is very important that both patient and therapist collaborate, work together to understand and find a path forward. Again, research demonstrates that the chances for good psychotherapy outcomes are best when both patient and therapist pool their knowledge and experience to work together in the service of the patient’s goals.

Are you considering psychotherapy for yourself? Are you in therapy and have questions or observations? To continue to learn, always improving my psychotherapy skills and adding knowledge from research and the experiences of others, I welcome your thoughts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FAQs and Not The FAQs About Psychotherapy: Part 1

The No-Therapy Option